4.13.2005

Better men than I

Remember a couple of days ago, when I said that there are some things that just can't be captured in pictures? I think that I have to amend that. I just went into Il Gesu, the mother-church of the Jesuits, and the fresco on the ceiling ('The triumph of the Name of Christ') blew my mind. The figures literally fall out of it, spilling over the edge of the framing sculpture, and the foreshortening and perspective lend a sense of tumbling and animation to the bodies that I've never seen before. This city is replete with examples of better men than I trying (and succeeding) to capture with paintbrushes and chisels, pencils and clay, those things that common-sense tells us mere mortals cannot be captured.

No picture. Sorry, I know my limits. I may not like them, but I know them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home